Houston Strong also means Body, Mind, Emotions and Spirit Strong
Trauma Healing and Recovery Center along with the Somatic Experiencing Houston Community are coming together to help those dealing with the emotional and traumatic stress in this unprecedented storm in the Houston area. Experiencing, witnessing or confronting an event such as Hurricane Harvey flooding is threatening to our livelihood and our physical and mental wellbeing. This type of situation can cause intense fear, helplessness, horror, agitation and disorganization. This can lead to Acute Stress, Post Traumatic Stress, and/or Somatic (Body) Stress reactions.
We have established a pool of trauma therapists who are volunteering their time to help people in the Houston and surrounding areas who have been affected emotionally, mentally, bodily and spiritually by Hurricane Harvey’s devastating flooding. If we can catch the trauma reactions sooner and help someone process that through we can help mitigate the lasting distress. Please read more about ways the Trauma Healing and Recovery Center and Somatic Experiencing can help.
If you or someone you know are experiencing some of the following as a result of the Hurricane Harvey flooding please sign up for counseling services. You will be connected with a therapist that can help.
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Irritability or outburst of anger
- Difficulty concentrating
- Startled easily
- Feeling detached, numb, lack of emotional response
- Feeling as though you are in a daze.
- Panic and Anxiety
- Depressions, intense feelings of hopelessness/helplessness
- Fears phobias of things normally not an issue
- Recurrent or intrusive images, thoughts, dreams
- A sense of reliving the experience, flashing back to the trauma
- Intense distress when exposed to reminders that symbolize what happened
- Avoiding thoughts, feelings, discussions, activities, places, people that are reminders
- Difficulty recalling important aspect of the trauma